View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #27
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Update, October 2008

This weekend I went over to the silo for Alex's 50th birthday party.

Before leaving last May, he had installed one of the hydraulic rams that lift the main doors.

Unfortunately the door is leaning too far back to get the wrist pin at the upper end of the ram into position. The holes are misaligned by a couple inches. The door is going to need to be moved forward slightly, but none of the crane companies that Alex has contacted are willing to do it!

Alex's party was Saturday night, and he had set up a large MASH-style tent (complete with cots and olive drab sleeping bags) for his more adventurous guests. Questor and I claimed cots there and crashed out fairly early. It got pretty chilly overnight, despite two propane heaters inside the tent.

Next morning, I was one of the first to emerge from the tent. Here's what our bikes looked like.

Questor forgot to bring his helmet in for the night.

By the time I'd had breakfast and hung out for a while, the frost was gone and the day was beautiful -- chilly, but not a cloud in the sky. I took the long way home, but was having too much fun riding to stop and take pictures.

Once again, I've got to thank Alex for his hospitality. He threw a great party and took fantastic care of his guests. Happy birthday!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote