View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Wednesday, Sept. 24: Day 2

After spending the morning catching up with our friend we looked for a repair solution for the melted saddle bag. Tent repair material and Shoe Goo seemed like it might do the trick but since the bag was still intact we decided to hit the road knowing we had a repair on hand if needed.

Still, we didn’t get away till around 2:00 with the simple goal of making it into California somewhere between Crescent City and Eureka along the coast, where we planned on camping for the night.

Lots of tidy farms dotted the southern Oregon countryside and soon we hit the proverbial fork in the road. Marc’s GPS said shortest rout lay to the left so we took it to avoid heading north to Grants Pass.

Our country road climbed then narrowed and then climbed some more. A few oversized logging trucks roaring down the mountain kept us on our toes and then the asphalt ended and the gravel began. I asked Marc how good his GPS was and he said it hadn’t let him down yet. 30 miles of mountain backcountry road later and we hit paved 46 near Oregon Caves Nat’l Monument and soon we were back on 199 heading for Crescent City.

It was getting dark and we were set on camping but had also decided we wanted seafood for dinner. Found a nice diner just past Crescent City and it was getting dark as we pulled away. By the time we found a beach site we had to set up tents under the cover of darkness. No rain, no wind, not even that cold. A good second day. Camera still not working! But Marc sent me these:

Looking for a campsite:

Finally, after much fiddling on my part, we're set up for the night.

My new blue tent cost only $25 but came with NO rain fly! Mental note: use gear you're already familiar with the next time! Something I knew, but didn't practice. The waves breaking drowns out any negative thoughts and we have no trouble falling asleep, unusual for me.

Day2: 130 miles; Medford, OR to Crescent City, CA

pdedse screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 11:23 PM
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote