View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Thursday, Oct 2: Day 10

We woke to another hot morning, relaxed in that we knew we only had a little more than an hour to ride to get to Bahía de Kino, on the east side of the Golfo de California, or Sea of Cortez. We take our time getting things ready, still groggy from yesterday’s long, hot ride. We try again to find a rear tire for Marc’s bike, but no luck. Road construction delays us getting out of Hermosillo, but by 1:00 we’re on our way.

Very Sonoran desert landscape with Sahuaros and other cacti. Soon traffic thins to next to nothing. After another hour we arrive and check out Kino Viejo and it looks pleasantly quirky but we also see Kino Nuevo on the map and head north along the coast for a few miles. After finding a couple of places too expensive, we inquire at Saro’s, a simple looking hotel / apartment.

The guy wants $70 per night for the lower apartment that has kitchen, AC, terrace and just meters away from the beach. Saro, the Italian owner’s name, opens the door to the sea and a beautiful cool breeze blows in. I ask about a discount if we stay two nights and he says he’ll knock off $10 the second night. Marc is on a budget in that he’ll need to make his money stretch for 4 months, but I’m not. I ask him to pay $50 and I’ll cover the rest for the two nights. Deal! I’ve got a good vibe about this place. After 2300 miles, we’re ready to relax a bit.

It’s already near 3:00 and we kind of forgot about lunch with the excitement of arriving at the beach. We talk about a nice fish lunch, but both of us are simply too tired to get back on the bikes again, so we cross the street and buy copious amounts of chips, cheese, salsa and tecate and make that our main meal of the day as sit on the terrace and just…

do…

absolutely…

Nothing!

Enough talk, time for some photos.

We step outside...

Don't want to miss the sunset...

Street side view of hotel...

Marc from the hotel terrace, beachside...

One of the few photos of Marc and me together...

Looking south...

Looking north...

Looking east...

Looking west...

Pretty sure that the land you see is Isla de Tiburones...

A short video of the sunset:
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...oSummer054.flv

Blurry, but you get the idea...

At about 9:00 Saro asks us for some help with his computer, he can't read the small print anymore and wants to know if we can make it larger. Marc's good with computers and he tries first, but it's all in Spanish so between the two of us we see what we can do. We make the font ridiculously large and Saro seems happy. He didn't ask us to change it back, so I guess it helped.

Feels good to be off the bike and walking the sands of the beach, taking it all in. I miss my wife and kids and they would love this place. A very good day...

Total miles: 60; Hermosillo to Bahía de Kino, Mexico

pdedse screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 07:08 PM
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote