View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #201
relayda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
No ifs, ands, or buts... This says it all. If the newer technology makes a significant difference, it would show in the lap times.

That's not to say the newer technology isn't a good thing, the question is 'just how much of a difference does it really make?'
Are you talking from actual experience or just observation?

I am 46 years old, have ridden quite a few different bikes over the last 37 years, and have tried different types of riding, motocross, flat track road bikes etc... In my experience, I felt that I reached my prime in terms of riding ability during my late teens thru mid thirties. Although injuries over the years hampered me during the later years, I also experienced in improvement in riding ability, which I attribute not to experience but to better technology.

I have probably owned 50 different rode bikes in my lifetime and ridden maybe 100; including an 75 KR750 Kawasaki race bike, an 89 Bimota YB6 and the typical Norton Commando production racer to name a few. Currently I own 4 road bikes. The oldest being a 69 CB750 the newest a 05 GSXR1000. If I recall the H2R, it was a pretty fast and nimble bike. In comparison to the GSXR1000, although there is a significant horsepower, powerband and weight difference the KR750 has the same top speed as my GSXR1000. However itís requires a completely different style of riding. If you canít break the rear wheel loose in a corner, then you canít ride it to itís limits. The problem here is obvious as it is more prone to high siding. I donít care how good of a rider you are; once you are high siding your chances of recovery are very lowÖalthough it can be done. I can personally attest to that.
relayda is offline   Reply With Quote