View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
guzzimike OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
There comes a time in all journeys when you must turn around and go home.
Or as the great philosopher once said, "Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has 2"
This was my time.
From Orbost we take the Highway as far as Bainsdale, then branch off north on a road less travelled, Lindenow, Glenalandale, Maffra, (again), Tyers, then up to the old mining town, now tourist trap of Walhalla.
Great Mountain Ash country here.

Then through Hill End to Noojee.

Here I stayed in a little A frame on the property of a very sociable bloke named Barry who has a little bit of paradise in one of the only well watered spots I saw in Vic.

Next morning I move on, skirting around Melbourne, through Healsville, Whittlesea, get lost between Wallen and Bacchus Marsh, (Jees it's bloody dry around there, like the surface of Mars, to end up in Winchelsea.
Fantastic old bridge here, still used on Highway 1, built in 1861 from memory.

On to Colac, then branch off though the Otways to Lavers Hill, (in the rain) and another night in Port Campbell.
I have arranged with Fred (remember him?) to meet up in Robe SA and on the way meet 2 other riders on the way to the Ducati Tourismo in Adelaide.
So we make 4 bikes, Gus, Fred on a Triumph Trophy, Big Al from Sydney on a Multistrada, and Erik from Holland on Al's '74 Ducati 750GT.
Here we are in the Robe caravan park, top spot!

Al & Erik

From Robe we form convoy to Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills, where we camp for 2 nights and take in the National Motor Museum at Birdwood.

One exhibit I thought worthy of mention is this 1913 cyclemotor, apparently capable of 40km/h, It looks terrifying, no brakes, left hand corners would mean no drive, RH corners would mean lifting the main wheel off the deck. Might have a bit of trouble getting compiance these days.

They used a lot of stone in their building in the old days in South Australia, stone is something SA is not short of.
This is the old mill next to the museum.

And a private house (used to be a mill) in Mt Barker.

Fred and I now get the bit between our teeth and head for home.
It's 2000km from Penong SA to Perth and we do it in 2 days, only stopping in this salubrious accomodation at Caiguna.

You see alot of loonies on the East-West highway,countless Japanese & Germans riding pushbikes, rollerbaldes, skateboards, but this one takes the cake, he's pushing a wheelbarrow from Perth- Sydney (4500km)

So, last Wednesday evening, 4 weeks after leaving home, I return to reality, but with many memories of places, and more importantly, people that I met along the way. Made a couple of friends, no enemies (that I remember) and saw a bit of OZ that I haven't seen before.
Can't wait for the next one.
Thanks for looking.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote