View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #60
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
The travels of a transplanted Tiger or "does my cell phone work here"

Part Three...
Since we n00bs like it easy with no suprises. Dave(sorry; don't know his handle) Lead us down the safe and beautiful.
We head out of Stovepipe towards the famous charcoal kilns. This is the really clean road called Wildrose Canyon Road.

Fearless leader running n00b watch..

"Say;; Does this bike make my butt look big?"

The last three miles was dirt so at least I got the tiger dirty on the first day of DV Adventures.

We are at the Kilns....
In 1877 George Hearstís Modock Consolidated Mining Company completed construction of the charcoal kilns in Wildrose Canyon. The charcoal produced by the kilns was to be used as fuel for two silver-lead smelters that Hearst had built in the Argus Range 25 miles to the west. The kilns operated until the summer of 1878 when the Argus mines, due to deteriorating ore quality, closed and the furnaces shut down.
You can google the rest.

We climbed up to Mahogany FLats Campground which is only 8000 feet just above the Kilns. if you want to escape the heat, then this is the place to be.

With the tourist attractions out of the way, its time to hit the real stuff. We head on over to Skidoo ghost town for a look around.

The Skidoo Mining District was one of the last gold mining efforts in Death Valley. Gold deposits were discovered in 1906. The town of 23 Skidoo grew to almost 500 people by the following year.
Google more here too.

When the sun goes down it's like another planet..
My camera is not the highest grade But, you should have seen what dusk looks like in DV.. Blues and greens like someone used a paint set to color the sky..

Well;
Thats it for the first days activities.. My Tiger had 20K miles on it since 1999 and never seen a dirt road up close and personal. Then I rescued it from it's previous owner and........

Today it lost it's cherry..

Tune in next time for day two.

Goodnight