Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,843
Which Stem Installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
Maybe I messed up?

I recently had Cycle Gear to change a rear tire and while there they offered an angled valve stem. I was really happy to get that put on, but for one, it's angled, not 90 degree as I thought so it has practically made access harder, rather than easier, and secondly, it seems I have a very slow leak, possibly.

I just noticed that Wunderlich has a 90 degree "for spoke rims, not cast." Is that because a cast rim stem won't seal in a spoke rim? (FYI I have spokes).

Basically my question is, did I get the wrong valve stem? If this is something that can cause a long term leak I'll get it replaced. Otherwise I'll wait 'till I need another new tire.
If you are going to ride your bike on road and not in loose stuff off road the angled stem seems to make sense..but just for me a 90 degree stem doesn't work for my off road riding..it is too vulnerable to getting ripped since it is oriented 90 degrees to direction of rotation...I try to reduce all "what ifs" that could cause a component failure....can't ever make it bullet proof but often a little thought can give you an edge..

Putting air in or gauging pressure is more about technique that angle of stem...just my thoughts.

Did you soap test the stem to see if it is leaking? Most often it is the stem valve and not the stem..
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote