View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Country Doc OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Talking

First canyon ride on Day 2, heading north up the western side of San Francsiquito Canyon. Water crossing!!

Wes almost took me out. Good thing I had a weather-sealed camera lens!

Gaining elevation up the canyon. Perfect, glorious day.

Beautiful ridgeline trail in the northern part of the canyon, heading towards Lake Hughes. There was NOONE else up here, and the views were spectacular.

Gorgeous mountain ranges.

Trusty steel horses. These little bikes were thrashed soundly, and never missed a beat. They are rugged indeed.

Best cajun chicken sandwich I've ever had, at the Rock Inn in Lake Hughes.

Setting up camp that night in the Hungry Valley OHV area. Gorgeous high-desert, and bitterly, bitterly cold at night.

Morning prep in Hungry Valley. We unloaded the DR's and took some gnarly, jaw-dropping, heart-pounding (for us!!) singletrack in the OHV area, trying to keep up with dudes on CRF450's and KTM 2-strokes. This was an amazing experience, and certainly gave us some skills that came in handy later in the trip... unfortunately we didn't get any pics from the OHV ride. No way to carry the cameras!

Lunch stop on the mountain pass after leaving Hungry Valley, headed towards the Carrizo Plains. This was the Mil Potrero/Cerro Norestre road, which now ranks as one of my all-time favourite paved rides. Every turn positive camber, every view was phenomenal, great campsites enroute. Awesome stuff.

Esses

More great views from Cerro Norestre. I quite literally almost rode off the edge of the cliff a few times, I was so preoccupied with the view.
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote