Thread: Vaquero
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,789
This was the fourth (or fifth?) time running Mexico since leaving the Air Force in the fall of '06. I loved ending up in San Antonio to be near the border - its just a few hours to Laredo and you're across the river.

The idea of this trip was to join up with a mixed bag of crazies who wanted to spend two weeks in Mexico, centered around the Mexico BMW rally in Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta. The rally was only to be a little over 4 days in a 15 day adventure.

I'll get to it in sequence, but I crashed between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta. I crashed under "the best of circumstances", which I will go into detail later.

A few days before the low-side in the mountains...

If you crash in Mexico, you just pull the bent and broken pieces off of the motorcycle, and duct tape and zip tie the rest, and press on. That's what was done with the help of Hank, expert BMW wrench, who was (fortunately) on scene at the rally and our informal "lets go here" guy.

The two weeks took the rough form of this outline, crossing at Nuevo Laredo, and driving south through

Monterrey
Santiago
Galeana
San Luis Potosi
San Miguel de Allende
Guadalajara
Puerto Vallarta
Playa Azul
Patzcuaro
Guanajuato
Matejuala

We were able to figure out how they obtained the fruit of the agave in Amatitan, just west of Guadalajara. It isn't any more difficult than this...

We were able to find fairly cheap places to stay, such as this place in Patzcuaro...

So I'll begin the tale of these recent two weeks in Mexico - the land of true enchantment. A few thousand miles, one bent and broken motorcycle, a mix of beautiful cities and towns, and of course, some really great riding partners and the friendly, smiling people of Mexico!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote