View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer: 354
I remember the turn-around point on East Camino Cielo a bit differently through my experience at that point.

I was pretty done. I had probably dropped my bike 7-8 times and was exhausted. I also have health issues that tire me out they were largely affecting me. I was actually very done.

Every time I went up or down a hill that seemed looser, steeper, more rutted and generally further above my ability as a newer off-road rider I thought to myself, "well, this road has to go somewhere, because I can't ride back up/down that again". Not in a joking to myself way either. In that deadly serious I-am-getting-in-way-over-my-head way.

The very last goat trail hill was ridiculous. My bike got stuck standing up in the rut by the footpegs catching on the dirt. So when we decided we had to turn around and do it all immediately in reverse, I don't remember pumping my arm in any sort or bravado. I remember looking inside of myself and flipping the switch.

The switch I sometimes use at work when my job requires me to do something I really don't want to do, like fire a friend, or negotiate my employment contract. Most of my internal switches involve emotion. This one involves resolve.

So I got on the bike and rode. I rode the crap out of it. I gave the AVDrider salute to every hill i had crashed on previously. It is hard to overstate the absolute bizarro world reflection that the rides to the dead end and out from the dead end were. The triumph was magnified by the depth from which we had ascended from.

This is why we ride, folks. The simpleton seeks adrenaline, and I think some think this is why I ride.

I don't ride for a thrill. I ride to surpass my limitations.

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote