View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #19
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
WV Geocenter

(Maybe this will get the ball rolling on the WV Tag-O-Rama tag that I placed here 2 weeks ago The weather hasn't exactly been great, though: 20 degrees and snow)

The Geographic Center of West Virginia, located 4 miles southeast of Sutton (Exit 62 off of I-79) Go across the big bridge in town, bear to the right, and follow CR 19-40 southeast about 4 miles to the intersection with CR 17 (turnoff to Centralia). You're there!

The US Geological Survey has a cool site that lists geocenters, highest and lowest elevations, etc. Click here to read more. Basically, there are numerous methods of determining the geocenter, but the commonly accepted way is to imagine the area (WV in this case) balancing on a sharp point. Factors such as curvature of the earth and irregular surfaces (in WV??? ) can affect the calculation. The actual, gen-you-wine geocenter of WV is actually off the beaten path in the Elk River Wildlife Management Area very close to this sign. I heard the Park Ranger will show you where it's at. Unfortunately, I did not have time that day to make the side-trip, as I was already running late getting back to work. Maybe when it warms up out of the 20s, I'll ride back down and add that photo to this post.

Geographic Center Historic Sign.

The money shot. Sekalilagi (on the Ulysses) and I did a team tag. Not a real scenic spot. It's on kind of a busy intersection.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-03-2009 at 07:10 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote