View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #20
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Old Stone House (Monongalia County)

Old Stone House
It is funny how ubiquitous these signs are and, by some, handily ignored. I park by this sign regularly and dine at a restaurant across the street. I used to go by it on my way to buy 'last minute' project parts from the (now gone) electronics store next door. And I'm almost certain in years past I've staggered past it as a less-than-sober undergrad. Yesterday, in balmy 26degree weather, I stopped and read it for the very first time.....

When riding through the many small towns in WV, a common theme can often be seen in the buildings that make up each community. Today, the sight would be a church or two, a 'Dollar General', followed by a bar or two (you can tell by the drag strip burnmarks nearby). Bigger towns even get a post office, stop lights come much later. Curiously enough, in its two hundred odd years, this old stone house has been both church and bar. Around here, it seems though business come and go, people remember them by their former lives. (I work in the 'old Harley Store' in Fairmont)

There's a quaint gift store in it these days, the kind that fits nicely in a historic old building. The store is staffed by volunteers from the the Service League of Morgantown, a local charitable organization.

This marker can be found in the National Register of Historic Places in WV. Links to map with marker location and a general map with other markers.
3937′49″N 7957′26″W

My apologies for the crappy cell phone pics, I brought the 'real' camera but it froze.

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 07:23 AM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote