View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,006
Oak Mounds - Clarksburg, Harrison Co.

It was a beautiful afternoon here Sunday (Nov 23), so I headed out around Clarksburg to locate a few of the Historical Markers around town.

Just south of Clarksburg on Rt 98 by the VA Hospital (see next post) lies an area of old Indian burial mounds. The Harrison County Historical Society meeting in the Fall of 1985 recorded the following:

"In 1969 the staff of the history department of Salem College had the permission to enter Oak Mound south of Clarksburg to search for Indian artifacts. They removed many human bones. Late in August [1985], all bones removed in 1969 will be reinterred at Oak Mound. The name of the mound will be recorded in "West Virginia Historic Spots." To correct errors in the present highway marker near Oak Mound, a new highway marker will be erected."

I want to research this some more, and will add photos of the actual mounds as soon as I can locate them (the offices are closed on Sunday to get directions). There are numerous small hills in the surrounding area - hard to tell the difference between natural and man-made.

New-style sign, erected in 1985. Original text was modified after excavations in 1969.

A view looking west on Rt 92 at the sign (across from the VA Hospital).

Edit: 3 Jan 2009 - After speaking to the county historian, I found the "mound". Read on ......

About a mile away from the first sign is this Oak Mound sign, located on Rt 19 on the south edge of Clarksburg, by the Natl. Guard Armory. This was the original text found on the previous marker - before the excavation in 1969.

That's the Natl. Guard Armory in the background. See the church on top of the hill just to the left of the sign? That's where we're going next.

According to the county historian, when the original burial mound was excavated in the 1960s, the church had wanted that property for a parking lot . Well, after they dug up the mound, they moved the pile of dirt over to a new location nearby and made a "replica" burial mound. I have to bite my tongue here because I made the rule back in Post #1 not to judge the actions of others.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 04:38 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote