View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #23
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Scotts Run/First Shack (Monongalia County)

I flunked history; but that was half a lifetime and half a world away. Thanks to pnoman though, maybe redemption is possible. Below is a double-marker, in a way, as each side marks a different landmark.

Between 1899 and 1921 coal production in Mon County rose from 57 thousand tons to 4.4million tons, most of which coming from mines in Scott’s Run. Contrast that with coal production in 2007 of a little over 10 million tons. Enabling that explosive growth were immigrants from 28 nationalities imported from halfway around the world. West Virginia and its identity with coal is without dispute. For me, I had not associated the homogeneity I see with such diversity of cultures. I had always joked that Morgantown was the cosmopolitan highlight to WV, given the University and the students it brings in from around the country (and world). Little did I know that the melting pot has truly done its job. Still though, if you look long enough, there are signs of these roots. Check out the various 'Church Days' around Wheeling and one can quickly get a sense of the broad ethnic pallete that makes up WV. Both the ‘Shack’ and ‘Scott’s Run Settlement House’ were established to provide support to the community after the crash and the Great Depression that followed.

Today, Scott’s Run exists only in
history books with
the 1930s marks the beginning of a long slide into historical obscurity for this once teeming hollow’. Yet, over seven decades later, both the Shack and the Settlement House continue to enrich their communities through diverse social services. Shakespeare wrote ‘The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones’ ; it is a good thing that Mary Behner, paid no heed to such proclamation of men.

This marker is located along US19 just north of Osage.
Links to map with marker location and a general map with other markers.
39.40.0 N, 80.1.3W
For more information
Scotts Run Settlement House
The Shack

State Journal article ’55 Good things about WV’

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 07:21 AM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote