Thread: XR650R Thread!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #33
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
Tell us about it? why was it in storage? what was done before storage? What is required now, stock carb or edelbrock?

Your buddy is in for a surprise! I've never raced one...but I've ridden the DRZ400...and I wasn't too impressed in comparison!

Got military orders to England in '02. Bike ran great when I put it into storage. Flash forward to '07, back in the good 'ole USA, got the bike out of storage and let it sit in my garage until about a month ago. Started with the basic maint, 2 new tires (old ones dry rotted), chain/sproket change (stayed with stock gearing), replaced brake pads/brake fluid, flush fill radiator, check valve clearance (still perfect) and a fresh oil change and filter change. Got around to giving the carb a good cleaning and re-jet since I'm now in Albuquerque NM (5300ft). Realized that I didnt get all the fuel out of the carb last time I shut her down before storage . I stripped the carb down and cleaned for about 2 hours, then tried to re-jet. Then I relized that last time I re-jetted, I must have stripped out a few of the screws. After fighting with the screws for awhile I finally said F-it. Now i've always had problems with the stock carb, could never it get it jetted correctly. I was tired of kicking the thing 10+ times to start and having it flood on me when I tipped over. So I bit the bullet and ordered an Edelbrock last week. Should be here on Monday, so hopefully I will be giving the BRP her first good ride since '02.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote