View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #101
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,302
I was up at 5:15 a.m. and ready to ride by 6 a.m. I was looking forward to a beautiful day, heard the Santa Ana's were coming so the sky was going to be clear. My goal was the top of Saddleback Mountain..

On a beautiful day, you can see from the San Bernardino Mountains to the ocean from the top of Saddleback, but I was worried when I started my ride in the misty fog.

I came out of the fog on the east side of Orange and it was clear and 10 degrees warmer by the time I reached the 241. This is looking west just past the 241 on Santiago Canyon Road and the sun is not up yet.

Orange County's version of Vasquez Rocks, taken from Blackstar Canyon Road. It turned out to be a nice morning.

The wanna-be beast........

Blackstar ends, so I head back and hang a left on Silverado Canyon. Within a mile or 2, I see the sign hoping they forgot to take it down.

It was a great ride up the canyon to the gate, no traffic and a clear road until I got here............Ranger Dave said it should be open by Wednesday.

I was going to head home, but I'm only an hour into a ride, so I head south on Santiago Canyon Rd and cruise through Modjeska Canyon. This road is steeper then it looks.

After Modjeska, I head south again on Santiago and hang a left at Cooks Corner, Live Oak Canyon Rd. The road is covered with trees, nice and twisty and nobody on it!

I get to old reliable Holy Jim Canyon. I have never seen this road closed, so I have to check it out.

First puddle I saw was huge, didn't feel like swimming so I went around.

I saw 1 guy on an XR, a few trucks and that was it. Here are some canyon pics. It was wet back there and the traction was great. Got to the end by the cabins, turned around and came back the same way.

Although my goal was not accomplished, it sure felt good to get out and ride! A little over 80 miles in 3 1/2 hours, making breakfast by 10.

Hopefully next weekend I will get here!

luv2race screwed with this post 11-30-2008 at 02:58 PM
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote