View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,839
Laugh The Apache Trail, My Son's First Big Ride

My son Matt is 8 years old. I have taken him on several short rides around the neighborhood and one ride for about 50 miles. Unlike my daughter, he is constantly begging me for a ride. I figure if he is going to tour the World with me someday, we'd better start the training...

I decide to take him on an overnight motorcycle camping trip on The Apache Trail. I rarely ride this road because it requires nearly 60 miles of riding in the Phoenix Metro from my home. As you will see it is very scenic. President Theodore Roosevelt toured the road by car in 1911 while on the way to the dam and lake named in his honor. He called The Apache Trail "One of the most spectacular best-worth-seeing-sights of the World". We'll just make the trail part of our own family history.

The satellite image of our route below shows how far we must ride in urban sprawl.

Matt seems to have no idea of the white-knuckled ride ahead... (Just kidding mom.)

We stop down the street for gas. We get a Duraflame Log for tonight. I barely find room to squeeze it in a pannier.

This just looks like a boring freeway photo... It is, except for the Photo Radar Cameras lining the right side of the road. Hey, If you're gonna shoot at me I'll shoot back.

Fun riding in Arizona is nearly over... Fixed and mobile photo speed enforcement is everywhere and they are furiously adding more... Thanks to our liberal governor.

We get the highest bridge at the SR51/Loop 202 Stack.

We head east on the Red Mountain Freeway. (I wonder why they call it that?)

After 60 miles we turn left onto The Apache Trail. Soon we are finally out of town.

The Superstition Mountains
This photo was taken at the entrance to the Lost Dutchman State Park. For the history of the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine I found this neat link; http://www.superstitionmountainmuseu...manExhibit.htm Maybe we'll find all the gold on this trip...

It Get's Better!