Thread: 800GS vs KLR
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #34
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman250f
Can the gs 800 do the same things and feel as light being only 20 lbs heavier?

My 950 was a great suspended bike but it was very top heavy and in the tighter and more slippery conditions it was like a bull on ice. Will the 800 gs be more like the KTM or the KLR?

Motoman250f
Your questions had to do with weight and handling, not motors or long distance comfort.

In response to your first question - YES but you might not try it as often as on a KLR IF you are worried about dropping it. I have already learned about the outrageous cost to repair one of these machines. It will be on my mind constantly. It will limit what I do on the bike now. I dropped mine two months ago, and I'm still waiting on parts. $6,300 for a 20 mph low side (with crashbars). Yes, I had insurance but how many $6k claims do I want to make?

In response to your second question - the F800 might feel more like the KLR than the 950. The F800 is slightly heavier than the KLR but carries the weight low. With the wrong tires, any bike over 300 lbs feels like a bull on ice. Only aggressive offroad tires work well in slippery conditions.

Navaho screwed with this post 12-03-2008 at 07:21 PM
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote