Thread: 800GS vs KLR
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #44
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Those numbers are all marketing hype, A KLR 650 with all its parts has never weighed 337 pounds (even the original '87 that you didn't include ).
OEM listed dry weights can be off and usually are. But we all know this .... it's common knowledge. I'm well aware of KLR history. A friend had an '84 KLR600. In fact, over the years kawi made some small changes to the bike, so maybe the weights changed slightly?
No importa. I quoted 337 lbs. from a spec sheet from a 2006 KLR.

Quote:
Still, the difference between the bikes seems like 50 pounds or so. Of course you feel it offroad, but you also feel the BMW's better suspension, stronger frame and general overall stability advantage.
Spot on. No question GS will outshine a stock KLR. But a modded one is a lot better ... but the frame and rear subframe can still break! Of course, BMW frames never break!

Quote:
Pick whichever one you like, I think the GS8 proved its mettle at the GS Trophy event in Tunisia and will continue to do so as more owners get out in the boonies with them.
I'm sure owners are gonna love this bike.
But from my reading of the Tunisia thread I'd say the bike had it's problems in those conditions. That deep sand slowed down most of the riders there and those bent wheels were dramatic evidence that the bikes were beaten hard. That said, would a KLR have done any better? Hmmm, probably not that much better but I bet a busted KLR wheel would be cheaper than the F800 one!

Quote:
Where do you get this info? Going off road can mean a short dirt loop or a long exploratory putt into the backcountry loaded down with camping gear and a full tank of gas so you can get back out again. Let's stick to facts.
Facts? Hey Bucko (I like that!), these are my facts. Most of the KLR guys I know don't fill the tank on every ride. FACT (my fact )

In Baja or somewhere super remote, obviously you would fill up. Duh! But in the Sierra or parts of the Mojave, where I've ridden for many decades, we usually do shorter loops of about 100 miles between gas stops, or pick a route that goes near gas at some point. We do this mostly to allow our more dirt oriented riders with small tanks to fill up. The KLR's are like Super tankers, supplying gas to others.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote