View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #390
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Tul˙m

Nir and I met up with Scott and Yael in Tul˙m, a cute town at one end of the "Riviera Maya" coast of Quintana Roo. The town itself is situated inland, but the beach is a short cab ride away. The water is crystal-clear blue and the sand is bone-white. There was also a lot of wind and rain, so we eschewed diving in the ocean.

Yael's photo

Tul˙m also has a Mayan ruin right on the beach. The architecture is not spectacular by Mayan standards but you can't beat the location. If I were a Mayan emperor, *this* is where I would want to be.

We hung out on the beach:

Yael's photo

We ate weird local fruit:

We made more Israeli friends:

We made dinner:

...and what I mean by "we" is "Scott":

Yummy. Not pictured: More ceviche than a whole hostel could eat

Since diving in the ocean wasn't an option, we went diving in a cenote. Cenote water is filtered through the limestone of the peninsula... the visibility was staggering. It's like hanging in midair in the middle of a giant underground cavern. Flashlights barely throw a dust trail. Sadly, my camera isn't *that* waterproof.

After four days, we moved on:

Yael's photo

Yael's photo

This is where Yael pointed out to me that my camera was set to -2.0 exposure bias... and apparently it has been f'd up since Guanajuato. I hadn't looked very closely at the pictures after downloading them, but now I realize that most of my pictures are far too dark. Sad. Beware handing your camera to drunken friends!