View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #397
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Isla Mujeres

Nir and I dropped our bikes off at our respective shops in Cancún (fortunately they were one block apart) and hopped on a ferry to Isla Mujeres. Despite being a mere hour's ferry ride from the land of gigantor hotels and package holidays, Isla Mujeres is a world apart. It has a quiet backpacker vibe, cute restaurants and bars, and no big hotels. There is only one bar open late - the bar at the Poc Na hostel - so everyone on the island knows where to go.

White sand beaches and blue waters! That is Cancún off in the distance:

The Lonely Planet describes the Poc Na as the "Club Med of hostels". It's true. The hostel is right on the beach and serves as the definitive the social center of the island. We spent a week there, getting to know some of the (other) Israelis that we had seen earlier in our travels.

One day our gang rented scooters and terrorized the island:

You can walk across Isla Mujeres the narrow direction in about two minutes. The long direction takes about thirty minutes away by scooter. Here's the southern tip, where the Spaniards found a small temple to the Mayan moon goddess. Thus the name of the island.

The rain kicked up so we ducked into a random resort-ish place towards the south end of the island.

Scott's picture

When we tried to start the bikes again, only mine and Scott's (of the six) would start. Doh! The lame bikes were left behind for the rental company to pick up later.

Scott's picture

Isla Mujeres was a good place to spend a week, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a laid-back but fun and social vacation. Flights to Cancún are usually the cheapest in Mexico. You can party, you can eat, you can hang out on the beach, you can windsurf or kitesurf or snorkel or dive. Unfortunately for us the weather was not cooperative; it wasn't quite too rough to dive but it was windy and rainy enough to dull our appetite for activity. I would love to go back and explore the reefs.

stickfigure screwed with this post 12-12-2008 at 03:20 PM
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote