View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #54
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Marion County/Monongalia County

I spent a decade living in quiet, sleepy and mostly tranquil Grant Town. However, to get to either Morgantown or Fairmont required a commute on secondary highways. Entering Marion County on US19, you will see this marker on your left. It hardly ever got my attention as I was busy regaining consciousness after holding my breath on the pretty set of twisties coming up the hill. Perched on top of this hill is also the water tower to the Greater Paw Paw Sanitation District who happily charged me double for sewage than what I paid for tap water. Marion County once thrived on the labor of coal miners, mostly evident in Fairmont, the county seat. Anyway, if you happen to be riding north or south bound on US19, be careful on this stretch. There is little room for error, coal trucks still rule the day and there are numerous washouts from driveways draining over the road. There is sometimes a state trooper located on the downhill stretch past Arnetssville but he is mostly there to keep an eye for the liquored-up drivers in the wee hours of the morning. (there are a number of watering holes between Morgantown and Rivesville) Travelling southbound, the grins you had ascending the hill to the sign transition to gentle sweepers as driveways come increasingly frequent. Slow down as you pass Bub's (not sure what it is called these days) and you won't miss the ice-falls that are common in the winter; it also keeps you in good standing with the local police officer in Rivesville (just round the bend). I'll save the yammering about Mon County for the next marker.

You will see this marker traveling southbound on US19 here
Some nearby markers here.
Ran across a good site for some marker data (GPS coords) here

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 07:51 PM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote