View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #64
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,899
Nutter Fort - Harrison Co

Located on the southeast edge of Clarksburg along Rt 20, Nutter Fort has a population (in 2000) of about 1,700. It's a quiet town probably best known locally for its large city park.

From Wikipedia:

Arriving in the early 1770s, the families of brothers Thomas, Matthew, and Christopher Nutter were early European settlers to western Virginia. Thomas Nutter had received a land grant for 1,400 acres (5.7 kmē) of land along Elk Creek in what was then Monongalia County. Together with the settlers Obadiah and Daniel Davisson, the Nutters constructed a fort in 1772, later known as Nutter's Fort, said to have been one of the strongest forts south of Fort Pitt. Located on the eastern side of Elk Creek, the fort was used by the Virginia state militia from 1776-1780 in conflicts with Native Americans. Thomas Nutter served as a Captain in the Revolutionary Army and died in early August 1808. When the community was incorporated in 1923, it took its name to honor both Nutter and the original settlement. (End Quote)

Historical Marker - located across from the City Park along Rt 20. I wonder if Hacker's Creek is now Hacker Valley? If so, then why isn't Rella's Restaurant here??

View down Rt 20.

Unfortunately, as I was taking these photos, Santa (who was crossing the busy road without looking both ways) was struck by a speeding Fire Truck on its way to a fire. I caught the moment of impact in the photo above. JUST KIDDING!! Santa is safe and sound, and if you've been a good boy or girl, he will be stopping by your house to bring you a new V-Strom this year.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote