View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #75
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 793
A 1000k to Barcelona

We left early from Granada wanting to avoid the parade for Semana Sentima, beautiful sunshine, perfect riding conditions.

A closer look at the windmills.

The mountainous region of southern inland Spain was just amazing, and the sun was shining, the twisties were challenging but not death defying, it was perfect.

A small village nestled on the mountain slope.

Spain's largest dam.

The plan is to only make one overnight stop along the way. A 1000 km is really not that much, we have taken much longer rides but, since we want to again avoid the superslab as much as possible.

We hugged the coast all the way to Barcelona, going through Almeria, where we stopped for breakfast. We found a lady that was making churros, and we over-indulged. I must have gotten a bit excited at the thought of breakfast because I made a slow speed U-turn, and ST answered back by laying on its side, no harm done thanks to clever Honda engineering and the well positioned wing-tips (pisses me off though, this was drop number 2).

Then we headed north to Murcia, the coast line was beautiful, this was our first glanced at the Med that we would follow completely around all the way to Sicily.

We zoomed by Alicante and Benidorm. Once you have been to California, seen the Florida beaches, flown to the Caribbean and Hawaii, Dove in the warm water of Fiji and Australia, Benidorm is just the European version of Waikiki: Outrageously expensive shop and a miniature beach overshadowed by high-rises. At least in Hawaii you can escape to the north shore.

Needless to say we did not stop long. The road along the coast was marvelous, lots of twisties and very little traffic.

Valencia, where we saw very modern architecture, very cool buildings.

Midway between Valencia and Barcelona, we stopped in Amposta. We spent the night in a road side motel, slept poorly, it was hot and there was no screens on the windows, so we got devoured by Spanish mosquitos.

Let's blow this popsicle stand.

Barcelona here we come.

I'll tell you all about it tomorrow...

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 06:10 AM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote