This marker is located on Country Club Road, Charles Town, .05 miles north of RT 340, on the right. The mansion itself is about 1 mile north and on the right. There is an entrance feature marked "Beallair". Follow the signs to historic Beallair. The entire area surrrounding this house has become McMansions.
The original portion of Beallair was built by Thomas Beall of Georgetown in the late 1700’s. Thomas Beall willed the property to his daughter Eliza and her husband, George Corbin Washington, one of George Washington’s grand-nephews. Their son, Lewis Washington, moved to the Beallair property in 1840 and added the tall, formal front portion of the house a few years later. Lewis played prominently in the events of the John Brown raid in 1859. On the night of Sunday, October 16th, John Brown sent a group of armed men to Beallair to kidnap Lewis. Taken hostage, he was transported in his own carriage to the firehouse at Harpers Ferry, where John Brown and his men laid siege, and where they were arrested two days later. Of particular interest to Brown were Lewis Washington’s heirlooms, which included a sword that had been given to George Washington by Frederick the Great. This sword was taken when Lewis was captured and given to John Brown, who wore it for the duration of the siege. Lewis Washington was remembered for his coolness and nonchalance as he left the firehouse. Governor Wise conferred the title of Colonel on Lewis Washington for his exemplary conduct during this incident.
This the first of seven houses associated with the Washington family.