Thread: The F800GS Seat
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #24
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
I am glad your experience was better than mine. I have had only 2. The original seat was the standard Gunfighter seat for the TDM with a vinyl cover.
10 years later I brought it back to be refurbished. Arrived at my appointment time only to find they had no record. They finished up a bike they were working on and then went to lunch. 2 hours after the appointed time, the worker arrived back and I told him what I wanted done to the seat. No problemo. He even gave me the choice of leather or vinyl for the same price. That should have been a clue. He then got the material and the pattern and gave it to the seamstress, My problem was I did not inspect the leather before hand, because it was probably the econo grade. He added material to my existing cushion and began shaping it. I stood there and watched and made some suggestions as to how I wanted it. He then told me that there were limitations to what he could do because of the pattern for the cover.
The leather on mine is wearing along the seam above the back of the cutout on top of the seat and will not last as long the vinyl.
The recover did not cost me much and maybe part of the problem was the rush for time, but that was their error not mine. Not impressed.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 10:36 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote