View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #405
x2468
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure

This was a magical day.

Nir and I made plans to reunite with Scott "somewhere west", then set out to explore the north coast of Yucatán state.

We reached the coast at El Cuyo, a small fishing village:

From El Cuyo we rode west along the narrow stretch of sand you can see in the satellite photo. The rays of sun were even more vibrant in person:

The road became dirt:

Nir's photo

At times the bay covered the road:

Nir's photo

Just wow:

Nir's photo

Nir's photo

More two-track:

Then the road opened up onto the pools of a gigantic industrial salt mining operation. You can see them on the satellite map.

Instead of riding along the edge, we rode out along the burms that separated the ponds.

The ponds were full of flamingoes!!

Nir's photo

We rode out into the middle of nowhere, giant pools of brine on both sides:

The sun was setting:

Nir's photo

Nir's photo

Some of these shots should be used as KLR ads:

Nir's photo

Nir's photo

The wind was picking up. Salt foam started collecting along the paths:

We stumbled across a huge mass of it that looked like a snowdrift:

Nir's photo

I rode around:

Nir's photo

Nir rode THROUGH:

No, it really isn't snow!

Hmmmmm, maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all...

We rolled into San Felipe after dark. The first thing we did was hose off the bikes - the salt foam had already hardened into a solid chalky texture. The town itself was the perfect end to a magical day - a cute, sleepy fishing village with a clean, beautiful beach and a single hotel right on the waterfront. It might be the most picturesque town I found along the entire Gulf coast. Predictably, the fish was excellent.

The view out the window in the morning:

This day captured the essence of what I love about riding. I wanted to take a picture almost every 50 feet.
awesome. thanks for the tip. ill try to do that. if the rental place ever calls me back. how was the fuel situation? how many hours would u say it is from cancun to el cuyo?
x2468 is offline   Reply With Quote