View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
Joe Watson OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Day 2 and Day 3

With only three or four hours sleep and FAR too many beers under the belt we were up and getting fuelled figuring out our plans to get home. I personally prefer to ride solo as not to hold anyone up. I went into South Australia for a poke around and look see and then through the dingo fence into NSW heading for Tibooburra. From there, across to Wannaring and up to Hungerford into Qld again and through the dingo fence once more. Up to Eulo from there to camp the night out the back of the pub.

Day 2 Route:

Bill the legend!

Fueling up

Some sore heads I am sure.

The corner!

South Australia

"The Corner Store"

From South Australia into NSW - The dingo fence.

Through.

Looking down a section of the fence.

Into the Sturt Desert

A lot of sand, with the sunlight and my confidence up I was able to hammer the sand pretty hard! Mostly 100kph and straight to the stops if the bike got unsettled.

The average dunes with expanse of flat earth between them.

Same again.

Big dried up lake.

Road trains.......about to hit the dunes.......:shrugs:

Some funny characters out in the desert!

Some salt lake.

Tibooburra to Wannaraing, hard packed sand with some softer bits.

Me!

Looking back where I had just came from - NSW

Into QLD again and a break at Hungerford.

All set up at Eulo behind the pub.

My DR looking more and more like a dirt bike these days.

With a nice shower and great pork chops (not to mention a few ice cold beers) I was off to bed at about 7:30. Only to be woken an hour or so later by gale force winds trying its best to bring down my tent.

Day 3 saw me hitting the bitumen in a big way. 1000ks all up to get home. I had a boring, but good days riding, rather fatigued though, it was all starting to catch up on me. Some NoDoz tablets (100mg caffeine tabs) later and I was ready to roar. I made it home in just under 10hrs. So an overall average of 100kph for the day which was nice.

Day 3 Route.

Overall, I did 3023km in the three days. Had an absolute blast too and met some great people. I will definitely be up for it next year, with better planning and should make it there in the daylight!

Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote