View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
picoda OP
Dalmatia

Oddometer: 221
South Africa 2008

Before I start my first Ride Report on this forum I have to warn you that English is not my first language, so be gentle with the comments.

South Africa 2008

My friend Ivan, invite me on a trip to South Africa. So, what can I do? Take the helmet, riding gear, goodwill, and wait for the airplain in Split, Croatia. 23.11.2008.

Ivan is half South African, half Croatian. First time he come to Croatia in 1992., and fall in love to our country. Threeten years after Ivan and his familly come to live in Croatia. They opened Tourist Agency, witch among other, organize motorcycle tours in Croatia and Europe. Ivan is ex motocross - enduro racer and off road instructor for a many years. In short, Ivan is exelent rider, very good man and even more better friend. If You want to explore Croatia or the rest of the Europe by motorcycle this is the place: www.visit-croatia.co.za

So, my version of LWD has started. LWADM - Long Way Airplane Down Motorcycle. All together, ten days of Africa and two days in a plane. Ten days of beautiful country, good people and crazy riding.

Johannesburg

My first touch with Africa. Johannesburg, also known as Joburg, is the largest city in South Africa. The population of the Johannesburg Metropolitan Area is almost eight million. Big town. Johannesburg is the source of a large-scale gold and diamondtrade, due to its location on the mineral-rich range of hills. The city enjoys a dry and sunny climate.
I said to Ivan when we arrive, take me to the old city. So, he does that. His father came, and we visit the old part of Joburg on our way home.

Old town

Market “Mai Mai”
You can’t see white people here often.

For this you can go to jail even in Africa. They don’t care because the police don’t come here.

Dry tails from the animals. I didn’t ask what they are for, cause the owner look at me a little bit strange.

Joburg today

City nightlife takes place in a guarded shopping malls. You will see why in the next section.

Crime

The dark side of Joburg, and the country, is crime. Thousands of poor, mostly black people, who had been forbidden to live in the city proper, moved into the city from surrounding black townships like Soweto and many immigrants from economically beleaguered and war torn African nations flooded into South Africa, with Johannesburg the most Northerly major city and there in a logical choice. Crime levels rose, and especially the rate of violent crime. By the late 1990s, Johannesburg was ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

Big business in Joburg.

In some parts of town even pigeons look scary.

Even the police have big walls with electric fence.

The Bike Hospital

On our way home we come to one more interesting place.

Ivan’s farm

What can be better after almost 24 hours of traveling.

Ivan get the 1200GS, to use it on our trip, from his friends in BMW. Thanks BMW friends!

At Dirk’s place taking the Transalp.

Dirk du Plooy. Ivan’s best friend. Many years SAR champion in motorcycle racing and the MotoGP racer in the year 1980. At 1989., Dirk start with his riding school and today they are the biggest in SAR. Michelin Superbike School. Dirk is also very good man and a friend for whole life. Thanks to him I get Honda Transalp from Honda South Africa to use it there. Thanks Dirk!

Dirk & Ivan

Here they are. Our motorcycles. Ups, wrong photo.

Dirk’s place

We are ready!

next............ on the (off) road to Durban

picoda screwed with this post 12-30-2008 at 04:40 PM
picoda is offline   Reply With Quote