View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #22
picoda OP
Dalmatia

Oddometer: 221
Lesotho

We are on the top of Sani Pass, entering Lesotho. It is time to think about my visa. I will try on a bluff, so we will see it. Border pass is a small house with two young custom officers inside. First they taken Ivanís SA Passport, put the stamp, and give it back. Than, one of them, take my passport and look in it. I see that he doesnít know what to do. Few minutes he was looking in the passport of the country he never heard about and he donít want to ask anything. He put stamp in it and we are free to go.

Lesotho, officially the Kingdom of Lesotho, is a country entirely surrounded by the Republic of South Africa. Formerly Basutoland, it is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. The name Lesotho roughly translates into "the land of the people who speak SothoĒ. The Lesotho Government is a constitutional monarchy. The Prime Minister, is head of government and has executive authority. The king serves a largely ceremonial function; he no longer possesses any executive authority and is prohibited from actively participating in political initiatives. It is the only independent state in the world that lies entirely above 1000 m in elevation. Lesotho has a population of almost 2 million. Big problem in the country is HIV infection. The prevalence is about 29%, one of the highest in the world. The official currency is the loti, but can be used the South African rand.
Unfortunately, we have only few hours for Lesotho. Beautiful mountain country. Iíll be back here some day.

You can see difference from the SAR. Lesotho is very poor country. But, the people are very hospitable. Only the young kids sometime throw the stones on the cars in the mountains. Some strange game.

Highest Pub in Africa. They have very good Lesotho beer. Maluti.

The money from all over the world.

But, very strong currency has a special place.

View from the terrace.

They are from Denmark and traveling in Africa for 4 months.

Two more Maluti.

After few hours and more Malutiís it is time to go back down.

To much Maluti?

Now, this man is little bit strange for me. After few hours he was gone only 100-200 meters. Maybe this is only show for the rich tourists. I hope so.

Sani Pass is finished. I am very happy. My small Roof of Africa is done. The next photo is from Ivanís Roof.

next.....................beautiful Drakensberg area

picoda screwed with this post 01-01-2009 at 01:20 PM
picoda is offline   Reply With Quote