View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #2324
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,469
Extra Fuel Storage

This is the frugal mans adventure tank. The Rotopax 2 gallon gas tank will give me roughly 250 mile range on my X-Challenge. We fabricated a couple mounting strips and bolted the bracket onto the small tourotech tail rack.

The tank is 3" X 13" X 17" and will serve well 'I think' as a platform for my soft bags. I don't plan on strapping the luggage onto the tank. I think I'll still use the tail rack as the tie down points and just use the tank as the stabilizer.

When needed, all I have to do is give that knob a 1/4 turn and the gas can is released. Lickity split.

Even with the gas can wide side out, it's not much wider than the ass end of the bike. I may turn it later with it mounted @ 13" wide. It really depends on my seating position as I ride.

This is the mount. It's made of sturdy plastic. We'll see how it holds up but for roughly $80.00 for the mount and the tank. I feel it's worth a try. Rotopax has a variety of containers from simple storage, first aid, water, oil etc. Their main clientele are the ATV crowd. I think it's a pretty cool product though so we ended up carrying the whole line at the shop. I will most likely be slapping one on my 1150GS before the riding season starts back up.

Update: I've since done 2 things. I've turned the tank length ways. I feel it works better that way. Plus, I've added a layer of rubber over the mount base in order to keep the screws from rubbing holes into the tank.

Here's their link> http://www.rotopax.com/gasoline-sing...p-1-pr-68.html

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 03:45 PM
Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote