View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #88
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
The Italian Alps

After our incongruous night at the hostel, we woke up relatively rested, but nonetheless ready to head for the mountains.

It was a bit rainy but not so bad, the forecast was calling for partly cloudy skies so we should be ok to make our way out of Genova to Bormio.

About 360 km to cover.

We opted to bypass Milano and Turino. Broke my heart but we have to make choices, its May 30th and we still have a lot of ground to cover.

First glimpse of the Alps.

I had little prior knowledge of Northern Italy, and it was great to discover this beautiful alpine region that at times felt more like Switzerland than anything else.

Just a second before backing out please.

Maybe Heidi was Italian after all.

So we maintained a straight Northern heading, and entered the Val Camonica valley, just between Bergamo and Brescia.

We stop in this town right on the shore of Lago d'Iseo in the province of Lombardi, and had a great meal of pasta e Arugula and cinghiale salsiccia.

With a great glass of red that maybe came from here.

Then back on the great Italian tarmac to find these great roads tunneling through the Alps.

And on the other side.

And of course an old church.

At times under cloudy skies and even torrential rain, ok ok... and a bit of sun we headed for the mountain, what a smooth and beautiful ride, the Italian Alps were.

As you can see, traffic was again a real problem.

And we made it to Bormio at the foot of the Stelvio.

This time of the year we are just after ski season and before the bicycle season start, a lot of hotels were closed in Bormio.

But we found this place with an ok view.

Perfect, just what the doctor ordered, a great place to spend the night while I dream of the Stelvio Pass.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 01-02-2009 at 10:17 PM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote