This marker is located with the marker for Blakeley, at the intersection of RT 340 and Huyett Rd south of Charles Town, WV. The estate is about 1.5 miles west, directly across from Blakeley.
Facing Blakeley estate.
This photo was included with a 1937 survey document.
The back door:
90 slaves built this palatial 34-room mansion called Claymont, that faces Blakeley some 600 yards away. It is the grandest of the Washington homes.
In 1943, the house was purchased by R.J. Funkhouser, an industrialist who owned and rehabilitated several of the Washington homes in the area.
Claymont Court is currently the home of The Claymont Society for Continuous Education. More info on this organization can be found here:
This is the sixth of seven Washington homes in this area.