View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #36
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,173
I am not 100% ATTGAT. But I am 100% in gear that goes on and off in a hurry. Since it takes maybe two minutes to pull on what I consider to be the minimum acceptable amount of gear, it doesn't affect my fun in the least. Being concerned about road rash or smacking my head on pavement does affect my ability to relax and have fun.

So I never ride without a full face helmet, armored jacket, jeans, knee pads, boots and gloves. The knee pads and gloves fit inside my helmet so they aren't a PITA when I get somewhere. The jacket is a hassle in warm weather. But there is just no way around wearing one for me. So I just throw it over the bike and hope nobody wants it or I carry it around.

So far I have walked away from every crash and never experienced the joy of road rash. I admit that some of that was luck. But then again, you tend to make your own luck. I was geared up every time I went down hard and when I got hit by a car. There is no doubt in my mind that I would be dead without gear. I love to ride but I don't like getting hurt. So no gear = no fun.