View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #107
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Travelers' Rest

This marker is located in Kearneysville, WV at the intersection of RT 9 and Leetown Road, across from the Sheetz station.

Travelers' Rest is located south of Kearneysville on Bower Road about a mile on the right. It is visible from Bower Road.

Extensive rehabilitation has been performed on the main house. Other structures have become ruins with the exception of the spring house, which has been restored.

1956 photo:

From Wikipedia:

Traveller's Rest is the home of General Horatio Gates. Gates and his family sailed from England to Virginia in 1772 and bought 659 acres on the Potomac River near Shepherdstown in what is now West Virginia. He built this limestone house and became a slave owner, a local justice, and a lieutenant colonel in the militia. In 1790, he sold the home, freed his slaves and moved to New York City.

This one will stand out for me. While putting this post together, I realized I had taken pictures of the wrong house! The archive photo did not look like what I had at all..So I ran back and checked...sure enough, I took pictures of the wrong house. I suspect that over the years some of these markers have been moved due to road construction, rerouting etc. Distances and directions from the markers to the sights they represent may vary...

vatrader01 screwed with this post 01-05-2009 at 07:01 AM
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote