View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #23
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
For some reason, every time I take a road trip, I end up on a dirt road. As Steve and I were closing in on the end of the BRP, we had to stop for some fuel. We followed the GPS to the nearest fuel station and had a quick snack. Since the road coming in had not been the best, once we got back on the bikes, we decided to try to find another way back onto the Parkway. So the GPS gave us the shortest route, and it was only 4 miles away. Well, as we followed the GPS, the road became narrower. At one point, Steve asked, “Are we still on track?” I looked down and the GPS said right on track. So further up mountain we went. The road continued to worsen, and soon we hit dirt. I try not to take my F800st on dirt roads, but that one did not look too bad. After 3 or 4 switch backs we made it to the top. Here are a couple of pics!

We made it! This was Friday around 2 pm and we had left Thursday morning around 9 am. I really didn’t expect to cover the entire BRP in a day and a half, but it wasn’t hard to do. Next we continued on to Skyline Drive.

After riding half of Skyline Drive, we decided to get off of it and start riding some normal roads. So we stayed the night in VA and Saturday morning we started heading southwest. As we left the hotel, the rain had already started. The F800st shines in that type of weather. With the fairing, heated grips and ABS, the f800st is a pleasure to ride in the rain. Also, my Olympia gear kept me warm and dry the entire morning.

Here we stopped at an overlook in VA, where I decided to take a couple of pics.

We finally make it to my home state of West Virginia! We had run across a road, I think it was RT 250 West, and just decided to take it to see where we ended up. Well I had no idea, but we ran across an old Shay locomotive. What a treat that was! I had seen them run on TV and read about them, but to actually just run across one was almost unbelievable! Also in the area are the satellite dishes the government uses to listen for noises from outer space. These things are huge and can be seen for miles. I had no idea of the size of those monsters! From there on out, the riding in VA and WV was just great. It was so great, in fact, that it got to the point where I stopped taking pictures. The roads were not in great condition in the mountains, but I couldn’t get enough of it! From the curvy roads, small towns and views, it is simply a great place to spend time on two wheels.

Saturday afternoon we decided to stop for a short break and we checked out the New River. What a neat place to stop and take in this very old river.

It was starting to get a little dirty.

This is the last shot! We had stayed in Galax, VA on Saturday night and headed back into NC Sunday morning. This is a pic of a road somewhere in NC.

What a great trip this was! My F800st was just a blast to ride and these tight twisty roads were perfect for it. I could have spent a month on this bike, carving up those roads. It was also nice to spend some seat time on the R1150R, what a great bike that thing is. I also must thank Steve for going on this trip! Once again I learned a few things from him and it was great to have another rider along to compare notes with. I hope you enjoyed the report! -Dean

vwone screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 07:29 PM
vwone is offline   Reply With Quote