01-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sonthofen, Germany
European Alps - The big loop!
- still a few years ago, but the scenery and the landscape is still the same today -
The big loop
A ride report of 4 mates travelling the Alps in 2000
by Rudi Przybylski, Honda ST 1100 ABS/TCS Pan European
Starting in Sonthofen, Bavaria, the trip led us….
- across Switzerland (Appenzell, Lake Zurich, central Switzerland, Lake Vierwaldstätter, Bernese High-country, Lake Geneva) into France.
It all started with the book „Traumreisen in den Alpen“ (Dreamtravels in the Alps), the route described there just wouldn’t let me stop dreaming of riding that Alpine loop.
3 other friends started to apply “pressure” as they grew sick of talking about it and the start was set finally set for the 18 July 2000.
Bike packed and ready to go by the previous evening, the meet-up was organized for 9am the next morning. Lothar had realized the worn rear tyre on the K1100LT (owner: Dietmar) - so our first “stop” was the local Sonthofen Tyre-Dealer who luckily came good on the spot - fresh rubber for the LT and finally we’re ready to go.
The four “culprits”:
Lothar , Buell Thunderbolt
Werner, Honda VF 1000 F2 Bol d’Or
Rudi, Honda ST 1100 ABS/TCS Pan-European
- Into the French Alps and south to the Grand Canyon du Verdon and the region of Nice on the Mediterranean coast.
- Across the Col di Tende to Italy and Col de Larche back to France.
- The Col de l'Iseran and the Little Sankt Bernhard Pass to Switzerland.
- The Rhone-Valley to Italy.
- Lago Maggiore, Lake Lugano and Lake Como again to Switzerland.
- The Engadin Valley to Italy
- The Lake Garda area, across the Dolomites and the Staller-saddle to Austria.
- Via East-Tirol to the Grossglockner and further to Carthania.
- A small lap through Slovenia and back into Austria.
- Via Klagenfurt and Bruck an der Mur (easternmost points of the journey) in the Salzkammergut.
- Then along the Alps - adding the Ziller Valley - back to Sonthofen.
to be continued!
Best greatings from Germany