View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Oddometer: 353
and here is the next part:

Day6:

The travel continues...following the valley, the Col d’Ornon (1371m) to le Bourg-d’Oisans is first.... then via la Grave and the Col du Lautaret (2058m) to Briancon.

at Col du Lautaret

Then the Col d’Izoard (2360m), despite Werner’s effort to miss the turn-off, hehe...
running straight into some drizzle...time for the wet-gear.
But not for long... things started to get steamy at the top as the sun came out. Pity those guys coming up the other side on their push-bikes.
Guillestre is the next target, then Embrun and to Lac de Serre-Poncon, circling the lake to the west across the Col Lebraut (1110m).

Lac de Serre-Poncon

The Col d’Allos (2247m) starts at Barcelonette and is one of those passes that should be closed for any other traffic bar motorcycles...what a dream-road. Enough space to overtake with a bike, but fairly narrow for 2 cars to get past eachother. Letting the others go ahead to take some photos just short of the saddle, I was nearly cleaned up by a car on my way down, coming straight at me through one of the narrow sections. A short „Pardon“ through the wound-down window didn’t quite make up for the scare.

Col d’Allos

Without signs, the left-turn in Colmars to the Col de Champs (2045m) is a bit hard to find, another one of those roads that’s thoroughly recommendable, despite quite a bumpy climb....at least the descent is a bit smoother.
Past St. Martin-d’Entraunes and Guillaumes, it’s into the wonderworld of the Gorges de Dalius, rated by guides as the next-most spectacular gorge to the Grand Canyon du Verdon – and that would have to be spot-on, what a place...

Gorges de Dalius

The rock changes colour from red-brown to purple, the road flows through rock-tunnels and natural arches high above the river, this is pure magic...designed by Nature.
Following the N 202 it’s across the Col de Toutes Aures (1120m) to a camp ground at the Lac de Castillon. The rain comes back, Werner and Lothar decide to pitch their own tent, which turned out to be a wise move.
Bucketting down all through the night, I woke around 5, stunned by a „floating“ feeling...
The floor of the tent was like a big bathtub, not letting the water out and I was gently floating atop on my air-bed. Time to re-arrange a few things, tipping out the water....and going back to sleep.

6. day routing:

to be continued

Best greatings
Rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote