View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
War Hammer
Evil Monkey

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
I've said it before, but I simply mounted the panniers to my crash bars. Worked really well.
I mounted bags to my crash bars, too:

MOLLE Ammo Bag, made by Diplomat, purchased from L.A. Police gear for $10 each plus shipping. These are soft bags, so I have them stuffed with a couple of towels to fill them out. I may see about fitting them with internal stiffeners to help them hold their shape when they aren't full.
  • Large YKK zippers
  • 2" padded shoulder strap
  • Internal key tether
  • Molle compatible on 4 all sides
  • Name tape area with velcro
  • Velcro inside to hold holster or other compartments
  • Two internal compartments
  • Hand strap for carry
  • Built strong to hold maximum weight
  • Dimensions: 13.5" x 11" x 6"
(The can of corn is for size perspective.)

Inside view of the two pockets with velcro closures.

Other side with the entire inside covered with velcro.

I mounted them to my Hepco & Becker engine guards using strips of velcro.

The bags are made of rubber coated cordura, but the seams and stitches are not sealed or taped. There is also a grommetted drain hole in the bottom of each bag. So I would call these water-resistant but certainly not water-proof. You could always pack your stuff on a plastic bag before putting them in the ammo bags. These bags seem pretty well made and should hold up fairly well. I probably won't carry really heavy stuff in these; probably rain gear and the like. More sensitive things like my camera will stay up in the tank bag. The bags are available in green, tan or black. I went with OD green, since it matches the theme of my bike.
War Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote