View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbansen
Either. Both. I use panniers on my GS instead of a tank bag, so they have everything that would normally go in my tank bag - a bottle of water (when I'm not going on a long enough ride to warrant a larger quantity), maps, snacks, camera, small tripod, tire gauge, sunglasses, my mp3 player and earmolds when I'm not using them, helmet shield cleaning supplies, etc, etc.

If you're carrying heavy stuff (like a couple liter bottles of fuel or something like that) it's best to sort of balance the weight between the two sides.
Thanks! I hate tankbags, but like their utility. I'm currently trying to think of clever ways to prep for a big desert trip planned for August, which will require me to be self-sufficient for water for two days in very hot temperatures - so, at least ten litres. Currently I plan to wear a 2L Camelbak, with a second 2L Camelbak strapped to the rack, two 1.5L plastic bottles in the panniers, and a 5L container on the rack, giving me 12L. But this is cumbersome and displaces a lot of stuff, so maybe tank panniers are my answer.

I'd really like to find a way to get one of these happening: www.turtlepac.com