Originally owned and developed by Charles Washington, the youngest brother of George Washington and the founder of Charles Town. Happy Retreat is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. The marker is at the intersection of Mordington Ave. and Blakeley Pl.
Happy Retreat is usually thought to have been established in 1780, and there is reason to believe that Charles's land may have been farmed as early as 1768. This date appears on the corner stone of the old kitchen at Happy Retreat. Before his death, Charles transferred all his property to his son Samuel Washington, who in 1800 sold Happy Retreat, including the mansion house and 100 acres 0f land, to Thomas Hammond. [Hammond had married Charles daughter Mildred] Sold in 1837 to Hon. Isaac R. Douglass, a Circuit Court Judge. Judge Douglas completed construction on the house with the addition of the center section of the mansion that connects the original Washington wings. During this ownership, the estate was renamed "Mordington", after Judge Douglass's family estate in Scotland. It has had several owners, and has a purchase option with the Friends of Happy Retreat. More information on this group can be found here: http://happyretreat.org/
This is the seventh of the seven Washington homes in this area of West Virginia. That is to say there are seven Washington Family homes with West Virginia markers designating them as such. There are many more Federal Style Washington family homes in the area.
Undated archive photo