The marker is on Dominion Road about .01 mile south of Rt 51 in Gerrardstown, Berkeley County WV.
One of the oldest known houses in Berkeley County. John Hays acquired 90 acres and first built a log house that is no longer standing and then added the two-story stone house beside the log cabin.
Rev. John Gerrard purchased the Hays house with 90 acres on May 18, 1770. Henry Switzer of the area sold one acre of his land to Rev. John Gerard, and this is the tract of land where the Rev. John Gerrard’s son, David Gerrard, laid out Gerrardstown in 1787, with 40 lots.