View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Anyone who has ridden multiple-day rally(e) events (Oz Safari etc) in mid-to-hot climates, what was your gear set-up (rider-wear)?

Riding for a day is one thing, but I guess for 5 days or more, comfort and wearability becomes a big issue - chafing / pressure points/weight distribution etc.
I'm talking about something like a 5-day event, 2,000km, desert.

Undershirt? Chest protector vs. pressure suit vs. built-in jacket armor? Jacket or no jacket (cool mornings, hot afternoons)? External Camelbak backpack or in-jacket water reservoir? Full knee brace or in-boot shin/knee guard? Elbows?
Any info would be useful, or a full description of gear, inner to outer layer would be good.

thanks
I wore "Skins" sleeveless top and "Skins" long legs underneath. This stuff keeps you cool in the hot conditions and warm in the cold conditions.
Then Dianese undershirt armour, with elbow, shoulder and forearm armour still attached.
Over that I wore a vented MX riding shirt. I removed the rubber armour from the KTM Rallye jacket and relied on the undershirt Dianese armour for protection. The vents on the Rallye jacket are very effective, despite the appearance of them being too small, and just opened and closed those as needed to cope with cold of predawn starts and heat of desert day. Also there are belts that you can tighten for extra "snuggness" in cold that you can release for extra air movement in the heat.
Finally a Leatt kneck brace and a few options of MX gloves.
Asterisk knee braces with vented MX riding pants tucked into Tech 8 Alpinestar boots.
External 2 Lt camelback.
Ogio KTM bum bag.
Shoei helmet.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote