View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #60
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Houses and stuff

One thing you do notice around these parts

when you're not watching your mates fruitlessly trying to kickover a Big Red Pig

is the variety of living accommodation. Here in the villages you get older houses made of stone and wood with a mud rendering

(Don't let the dates on the pics fool you, these houses are older than that my camera is playing up ). Notice the horizontal wooden beams above and below the windows. Forerunners of the reinforced concrete pillars used these days to prevent earthquake damage. More modern buildings are constructed out of concrete and hollow brick rendered with plaster. The houses are built and occupied one floor at a time. The buildings can go upward when time and money are available, and increasing family size dictates it

The occupiers of these houses work the land and their greenhouses to produce all manner of tasty fruit and veg which they sell to cooperatives and at the weekly bazaar

Half an hour down the road

and one bumps into a completely different type of architecture

This one is up for a cool 1,200,000

I have no idea what the folk that live in these places do but I suspect that they would be hard pushed to produce one of these

Looks like it's gonna be cabbage and mash, cabbage soup, saurkraut...........,etc for the next week then

By the way, ten kicks later and the BRP started

Cheers,

Dickyb

Dickyb screwed with this post 01-16-2009 at 12:09 PM
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote