View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
BigBearJoe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto
Didn't really learn much about navigation prior to the race so I learned as I went. Made a huge mistake that cost about 1/2 hour on Day1 by not trusting Bruce Ogilvie's navigation. He's very good at it and I was an idiot.
Mentioning Bruce Ogilvie, reminded me that he was there and that I was using one of the "fancy" electronic odometers from the mid-80s XR600s (still have it buried out in the garage somewhere). I went over to the Honda pits to asks for assistance in calibrating the unit. They referred me to Bruce as being, as we know, the expert.

Casey has certainly run many multi-day events (Nevada 1000 and 2000) since the demise of the rally, but none of them ever returned to navigation style. I just got the impression that the concept of navigating was to "weird" to sell to the general American racing community. American desert racers were just too comfortable with following pink ribbon. There would most certainly be more interest now than back in the late 90s. I'm amazed that Casey is able to do it, but he certainly has the ability to get the permits for another multi-day event. It would just be selling the idea to "corporate" off-road racing.
BigBearJoe is offline   Reply With Quote