View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
FlyingFinn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Suspension Wisdom

I'd like to suggest a place for non bike-specific discussion about suspension tuning, how suspension works and how it affects the handling of a motorcycle.

I'd like to keep this fairly generic and leave out questions like "how do I adjust the ride height of a DRZ400?"
Rather focus on things more like "What does it do to stability and handling if I lower the the ride height in back and front by 10mm?"

Also, lets try to keep this in topic and not post pictures of you cute dog or hot girlfrind here, ok?

Over the years I've spent my time on playing with Ohlins and Wilbers shocks, turning the clickers, adjusting the preload etc. Changing springs and fork oils, playing with the oil level and messing with cartridge emulators.
As well as studying the relevant literature.

So I'm starting to form some sort of idea of what's going on but I feel I still have way more questions that answers.
I'd like to discuss those questions, and questions from other in here so we all can hopefully learn something new.

Here's my latest head scratcher.
I'm setting up a street bike R for my GF. She weighs 2/3 of what I do.
I've selected correct springs for her weight and adjusted the preload (both for F and R), so laden and unladen sag is spot on for her.

To tune the damping I ride her bike up and down a twisty and bumpy local highway that's as if made for suspension testing.

But how should I "compensate" the damping settings for our weight difference?

In other words, if springs are set correctly for 120lb rider and a 180lb rider is tuning the bike, will the the same rebound settings that are best for the 180lb rider also be the optimal settings for a 120lb rider?

My personal quess is that since the rebound damping controls the energy stored in the springs, then the rebound setting is mostly set to match the springs, not the rider's weight.

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote