View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,895
I worked for a large track day provider for a few seasons, and we had a suspension vendor at most events. A really good one. I watched him do setups that netted a typical rider 1-2 seconds off lap times.

Other than his vast experience and a whole book full of info from Ohlins (he's a legit Ohlins vendor), the thing I came away with and used on the Ducatis I worked the track with was simple but effective.... After getting springs and preload set properly as verified by the unloaded and static sag, stand next to the bike and with both hands on the top rear of the tank, suddenly push down with about 2/3 of you rweight and release. Both ends of the bike need to rebound evenly. And the rebound travel should take somewhere between 1/2 and 1 second. Closer to the 1/2 second, but a perceptable damping of rebound speed. I've tried it, and it gives a very good baseline setting for rebound.

Compression is a little more trial and error for me, so I'll defer to someone else on that.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote