View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #64
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox Pete
Frank,
A few tires have an arrow or similar caution that they are "directional" (like chevron tractor tires) and will load up/not "clean out" if turned back wards.
Because your front wheel is NOT "driven", except by the ground pushing against it, you need to figure the road surface is "driving" it instead of a drive chain.
So, if you wind-up with a good gnarly tread tire on the front that was made to be used on the rear wheel, if it says "directional", it may work better/be more tended to "clean out" rather than pack mud into itself, if it is run "backwards" to the indicated direction of rotation.

Most tires are not directional, so I have caused some confusion probably for nothing....(Mea culpa)

Some of the auotmotive winter tires like Frank COlver used on the rear of his three wheeled T-Dub ARE directional, and that mebbe put the thought into my warped mind.

Paradox Pete
I understand the concept of directional tires. I still do not understand why you are mounting a "directional" tire counter to it's designed direction.

The tire is designed to rotate in a given direction to provide clearing of the tread, wether you're dealing with water, mud, or snow. By running the tire in the opposite direction you would be hampering the clearing action of the tread design.

As far as the rear tire being driven by the chain and the front tire being driven by the ground, I really don't see the difference in the dynamic action of tread.
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote