West Milford is located at the junction of Rt 19 and Rt 270 about 9 miles south of Clarksburg. An Act establishing the town of Millford was passed in 1821. The name of the town was later changed to West Millford since there was already a Millford VA (this was before WV became a separate state). The Circuit Court of Harrison County entered an order incorporating the town of West Millford around 1865. Somewhere along the way, one "L" was dropped and the town became West Milford. Population in 2000 was 651.
Town was built on site of Arnold Richard's Fort (AKA Col. William Lowther's Fort or West Fork Fort) that was used by the local militia from 1776-1780.
Historical Marker located at junction of Rt 19 and Rt 270 about 9 miles south of Clarksburg.
The area now known as West Milford is spread out over 130 acres just over this hill. It's mostly just a bedroom community with lots of houses. In this photo, looking south, Rt 270 turns to the left, while Rt 19 South continues to the right.