View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #3560
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Softer forks?

I had a fiddle with my forks whilst doing lots of other things to my bike. My impressions of the forks was that they were far too stiff. So, I got myself some 7.5W fork oil (Std. is 10W) and put that in the forks to a level of 140mm from the top of the leg with spring removed and leg fully compressed.
Why 140mm? Well, the Thruxton forks are filled to that level, whereas the Scrambler is filled to 123mm. So, if you're going to reduce the damping you also need to reduce the spring rate. The simplest way is to increase the air chamber above the oil.
I've just come back from a 100 mile ride to test it and I'm very pleased with the result. I rode a variety of roads from fast dual carriageway to bumpy back lanes covered in crap. The forks now absorb the bumps instead of crashing into them.
I have to say; I don't know if this would be too soft for dirt roads but if your riding is mainly paved roads and, like me, you think the forks come too hard, then you should give this a try.
7.5W oil to 140mm. You heard it here first.

EDIT, December 2009, I've done over 7000 miles with this set-up now including some pretty rough off roading and it copes very well with all conditions. IMHO this is almost as good as the forks could get for very little cost. Next step is to try 8.33W (mix 1 litre 10W with 1/2 litre 5W) at 135mm.
EDIT, May2010, next step is done and it is a bit better at giving more feel at the expense of ultimate comfort. Worked great on what we rode on the ADV Norway rally http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...542913&page=14 .

blacktiger screwed with this post 07-29-2010 at 04:22 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote